Elton N. Dean, Sr., was first elected to the Montgomery County Commission in November 2000, and was re-elected by his constituents in 2004, 2008, 2012, and again in 2016. He was elected Vice Chairman at the Commission’s organizational meeting in November 2004 and was named Chairman in March 2009. Elton continues to serve as Chairman of the Montgomery County Commission and is looking forward to taking the skills and experience he has as Chairman of the Montgomery County Commission to the Office of Mayor of the City of Montgomery.
During his tenure on the Montgomery County Commission, Elton has been able to achieve a great deal for the county, with the help and support of his colleagues. Those accomplishments include, but are not limited to:
- IMPLEMENTING THE COUNTY'S BACK TO SCHOOL SALES TAX HOLIDAY which saved Montgomery County families thousands of dollars when purchasing school supplies.
- IMPLEMENTED THE COUNTY'S SEVERE WEATHER PREPAREDNESS SALES TAX HOLIDAY which made it more affordable for Montgomery families to purchase severe weather supplies and to be prepared in the event that a tornado or hurricane caused damage in Montgomery County.
- SUPPORTED PUBLIC EDUCATION by providing more than $26 million to the Montgomery Public School system and the Pike Road School System in the last fiscal years. Furthermore, under Elton's leadership, the Commission provided $3.5 million toward MPS debt reduction. Since 2001, the Montgomery County Commission has provided more than $428 million for public education in our county.
- EXHIBITED STRONG FINANCIAL LEADERSHIP which as Montgomery County on great financial footing. Under Elton's leadership, the county enjoys an oustanding AA credit rating with Standard & Poor's and an Aa1 with Moody's Investors Ratings. This strong credit rating saves the citizens of Montgomery County millions of dollars.
- BROUGHT GOVERNMENT BACK TO THE PEOPLE by establishing "On the Road" commission meetings to be held in each commission district. Under this program, commission meetings are held in each district in the county in order to make it easier for constituents to meet with their commissioners and to have their concerns heard.
Elton was married to the late Lillie Hardy Dean. They have three children, Dawneese Bowen, Elton “Deno” Dean, Jr., and Brandon Dean. He is the son of the late Mary Dean Johnson and Dr. William Johnson.
MORE ABOUT ELTON DEAN
· George Washington Carver High School
· Selma University, A.S., General Studies
· Alabama State University, B.S., Business/Economics
· American Real Estate Institute
· Western Electric/AT&T/Lucent Technologies Corporate Education Center
· Retired manager of Western Electric/AT&T/Lucent technologies
· Former manager of Firestone Tire and Rubber Company
· Owner, Dean Realty and 21st Century Hair Studio
· Executive Board Member, South Central Alabama Boys and Girls Club
· Board Member, Montgomery Improvement Association
· Board Member, MIA Foundation Board
· Board Member, NAACP
· Board Member, Cleveland Avenue YMCA
· Board Member, Kershaw YMCA
· Board Member, Central Alabama Community Foundation
· Chairman of Trustee Board and mass choir member, Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
· Commissioner, Central Alabama Amateur Baseball League
· Commissioner, Southern League Dixie Youth Baseball
· Former Board of Trustees Chairman (9 years), Alabama State University – responsible for $525 million worth of campus improvements during Chairmanship
· G.W. Carver High School Distinguished Alumni Award (2018)
· Award of Excellence by One Place Family Justice Center (2016)
· The Pioneer Award by The Montgomery Tuskegee Times (2015)
· Alabama State University’s College of Business Administration (COBA) Distinguished Alumni Award (2014)
· International Economic Development Council’s Leadership for Public Service Award (2012)
· Alabama State University Silhouette of Service Award (2012)
· Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce Chairman’s Award (2012)
· Citizen of the Year Award by the Sigma Phi Chapter of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity (2004)
· Citizen of the Year Award by Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Montgomery Alumni Chapter (2003)
· Kershaw YMCA Man of the Year Award (2001)